There is a very old and long relationship between English and Hindi. Many words of Hindi origin have become a part of the English Language. For example words like Pashmina (type of textile), Pooris ( fried cakes), Pundits ( priest), Garam Masala ( hot spices), Raita ( type of yogurt), Chutney ( spread, dip) and many more have been included and become a part of the English language.
- Several English words have also been adapted from Hindi and Sanskrit.
- Bangle is taken from Hindi word Bangadi which means a type of bracelet.
- Bungalow is taken from Hindi word Bangla which literally means house.
- Pyjamas is taken from Hindi word Paijaama which mean leg trousers.
- Thug is adapted from Hindi word Thagi which means thief or conman.